See, a week and a half ago, I pulled myself over a (15 foot?) wall with a rope, among other things. You may remember from my last post that I feared the "water, fire, barbed wire, and mud." Ha! Those were nothing compared to the wall--but, of course, that's how hurdles work. I know it's a total cliché, but it made me realize I could be doing a lot more. Two days later I moved a recliner couch from one room of my basement (and up a step) by myself. Trust me, it was challenging--but all my life I have watched my 5'2" mother use simple machines to move things, and I have learned a thing or two.
So I am using the simple machine of rules to get a jump on that back-to-school feeling.
- I am going to go for a run every day for a month: a really, really crappy run, but that's okay.
- I am going to keep a food journal, which I know from experience instantaneously shames me into eating much, much more healthfully.
- Since there is a LOT of eggplant coming out of our garden, I resolved to eat eggplant every night this week. We're on Night Five.
- I am going to do an Extra Thing every day. The Thing that keeps the Sisyphean Blues away, so you don't go to bed thinking, "Well, we had dinner and some of the clothes are clean, so...great job?" Some examples: reorganizing/cleaning out the pantry, putting together a potting bench, painting the workshop floor, making pickles...nothing revelatory, just something extra.
- And...for the month of August, I'm going to blog every day. Two things in store for you are my thoughts on "Brave," and the long-promised, now-almost-definitely-disappointing Meg and Melanie essay.
Wish me luck!
Looking for more of your posts. Those are some good goals. Eggplant for a week is definitely commendable.
Yay! Can't wait to read more of your writing.
huzzah! What Jay said. And you might be inspiring me to do the same, in terms of some of your goals (though I might just wait until after school starts...)
Cool! Except for the eggplant. Better you than me when it comes to having eggplant every day. ;)
Just noticed that Wateringplace had zoomed to the top of my blogs list with a bunch of recent posts. Looking forward to the rest of the month.
And I'm inspired by (most of) your rules.
You're going great so far! Am running with you, every morning in August. Olympics have shamed me into it. And bought some fashionable running clothes for the first time in 20 years: at a cost where I can't afford not to use them frequently.
Post a Comment